Friday, September 02, 2005

In response to Lana's comment

Here's what I have to say about Lana's comment on my last post:

Like she said I like people, and I much prefer being with other people to being alone. Basically I'm an extrovert. However I do have a natural tendency to be quiet. I know this seems like a contradiction so I will now attempt to explain what I mean.
My personality psychology textbook from last year explains it quite well so I will paraphrase what it says. In general shy people are not introverts. The psychological term for shyness is social anxiety, meaning that shy people are scared of being evaluated negatively by other people. They want to have friends and spend lots of time with other people, but their fear of not being liked leads to them avoiding spending time with other people, and being quiet and rather inconspicuous when they do.
I used to be incredibly shy. I would pretty much never say anything to anyone. I was always worried that I'd said the wrong thing when I did say something, that people didn't like me or thought I was stupid. I'm no way near as shy as I used to be now. I have come to like the person I am, and I know that other people like me too. I do however still tend to be a quiet person at times.
I like to spend time with people but I have a tendency to wait until other people organise something before I do. I'm trying to work on this because obviously if I want to be invited to things I have to invite others to things too, however it's not easy to overcome a lifetime of being scared that other people won't want to do stuff with me.
Lana said that she sees me as being on the outside of the group. This may be true at times, although it's always a difficult thing to judge, but I see this as being my fault rather than anyone elses. Thanks for your concern Lana, I appreciate it, but I think the reason I don't always seem to get much 'attention' is because of me not anyone else.

I think that pretty much sums up my thoughts on that. I hope it makes sense :)

1 comment:

AJ said...

I like hanging out with you Ray (so much so I took over your lounge) I'm a pretty shy introverted person aswell. Sometimes I just pretend that I'm not. :)